Opportunities for 11 - 24 year olds.
Growing Confidence is an exciting project being delivered in collaboration with Fordhall Community Land Initiative and the Field Studies Council. Between us we are delivering a wide range of outdoor events and opportunities for young people aged 11 -24.
Practical work days
We hold monthly work parties every first Sunday a month - 10am - 3pm.
These sessions are a fantastic opportunity for young people who are looking to gain practical experience in the conservation sector. We visit special places across Shropshire undertaking activities such as coppicing, hedge laying and wildlife surveys.
Sessions are free and transport is available from Shrewsbury. To find upcoming dates visit our whats on pages or contact Tom Howells - firstname.lastname@example.org
Wild Roots Youth Group
Every second and fourth Wednesday of the month we run an outdoor themed youth group at The Cut Shrewsbury, come along to learn new skills, meet new people and have fun!
If you are considering an environmental career then this group is great for learning and building new skills to add to your CV within a safe and easily accessible site.
Sign up is essential, by contacting Tom (details below). Once you are signed up, you can just turn up to the youth group!
Shropshire Wildlife Trust can offer work 1 week work experience placements for young people to find out what it is like to work in for a conservation charity. To find out more, click here.
We also offer a 4 week placement scheme for University students and graduates. Based in Shrewsbury this scheme aims to give young people an insight into working in the environmental sector, click here here for more information.
For teachers and lecturers
Both Fordhall Farm and Shropshire Wildlife Trust run an outdoor practical alternative curriculum with schools for those who struggle in the classroom, this allows pupils to develop more practical land based skills and build confidence and self esteem. We also:
- Attend careers fairs or talks
- Offer ecotherapy sessions
- Offer practical conservation days
- Offer Wildlife ID days
To find out more, please contact us.
FSC Preston Montford
- Day courses Tailored natural history courses for those following in Darwin’s footsteps. Discover more about specific habitats and specialised species.
- Residential courses Further discovery and exploration into specific areas of natural history and conservation over a few days in the Shropshire countryside.
- Work experience placements FSC Preston Montford can offer work experience placements to find out what it is like to work at an environmental education charity and gain a better understanding of what we do
- Exploration events When school, college and universities break up for the holidays keep an eye out for fun at Fordhall. Events range from Forest survival days to Be a farmer sessions.
- Work experience placements Fordhall Farm can offer work experience placements to find out what it is like to work at a community farm and all that goes with it.
Find out more
For more about the project or register your interest for any of these activities please contact us:
Email Tom Howells TomRJ@shropshirewildifetrust.org.uk or phone 01743 284297
- Twitter: @GrowingConf
- Facebook: @GrowingConfidence
- Instagram: @growing_confidence
You can also find out more about the other youth development projects taking place across the UK by following Our Bright Future.
- Twitter: @obrightfuture
- Instagram: @obrightfuture
- Facebook: @OBrightFuture
Why and how
Following the 2015 Paris climate change agreement, the UK's Big Lottery Fund through Our Bright Future invested £33 million in more than 30 organisations nationwide to inspire and develop the next generation of environmental leaders.
Thirty one youth-led projects across the UK are each receiving around £1m of funding to give young people the skills and knowledge to improve their local environments – from reducing marine pollution to minimising food waste. In doing so, young people will develop the confidence and resilience to become environmental leaders and influence decisions at local and national levels. This young, ambitious and capable movement will ensure this generation’s voice is heard in the current debates around environmental improvements and a resource-efficient economy.