- Greenfields Local Nature Reserve working parties on the third Tuesday of the month: 9.30 am - 3.30 pm are currently suspended.
- Butterfly surveys at Greenfields on 3rd Friday from March to October: 1.30pm - 3.30pm - These are currently suspended. Please report any butterfly sightings via the Facebook page [below] or email the branch.
- Visit the Greenfields LNR Facebook page.
Our events programme is currently suspended with July events cancelled or postponed. It is hoped that some events later in the summer will be able to go ahead but we will have to see how things develop before making in any decisions. .
Visit to Buzzy Bee plant nursery, a small organically run nursery with chickens, ducks, etc. Follow their own nature walk along the old canal, awash with wildlife. Free but limited to 20 people. Booking with the branch required as fresh cream teas will be available to order [pay on the day]. Plants for sale; toilet. 14 Waterloo, Whixall, Whitchurch, SY13 2PX . SJ 500 328. Limited parking – please car share if possible.
Local wildlife sites
- Whitchurch is well known for being at the centre of a significant local water vole population. One place you might see these iconic creatures is in the brook under the footbridge between White Lion Meadow car park and the swimming pool.
- Local sites remain open for you to enjoy but remember to only go alone or with members of your household or with up to 5 people from outside your household, Please keep your distance [over 2 metres] from people not in your household or bubble.
- Greenfields Local Nature Reserve This SWT reserve on the western edge of town near the Llangollen Canal is managed by the Whitchurch Branch. Read more
- Melverley Meadows [SWT Reserve] is about 3 miles south east just outside the village of Ash. Read more
- Fenn's, Whixall and Bettisfield Mosses National Nature Reserve, home of the current BogLIFE project to restore the Marches Mosses, is only a few miles to the south west of town. Read more
- Prees Heath Common, Butterfly Conservation's reserve for the silver-studded blue butterfly is just 2 miles to the south. Read more
- Prees Heath East - a small site on the edge of common. Read more
- Brown Moss [Shropshire Council countryside site] lies a mile to the south east. Read more
Contact: Malcolm Monie
Facebook: Whitchurch Branch, Shropshire Wildlife trust @SWTWhitchurch
We have several Nature Reserves in and around Whitchurch.